Our Mission: Women United will inspire current and future female leaders by sharing our stories, resources, and successes with women and girls.
What is Women United?
WOMEN UNITED is a group of women in our community coming together to create hope and change in their communities. We are also a part of a larger network of 70,000+ women in over 165 communities raising our voices, rolling up our sleeves, and leaving our fingerprints on a legacy of change that benefits everyone. Our local WOMEN UNITED of Lake & Sumter Counties has created a way to connect women and help them to inspire hope in their communities by hosting 2 giving events and 2 networking/learning events annually.
Have you ever thought-“I wish someone had told me that!”? This is why we created our “Everything Your Mama Never Told You About…” series. The topics will range from finances to golfing but will always include time for networking. Women are the story tellers of our culture and it is important for them to share their experiences with the next generation.
Our giving events give women the opportunity to feel the empowerment of giving and supporting causes they are passionate about. Women have always been givers of their talents and time but what if we could do more together in our community? Each giving event will have a cocktail networking time followed by a half hour program of three nonprofits sharing their goals of how they will create change. Each WOMEN UNITED member votes for the agency they feel should receive the money. When we reach a 100 women in the room- we will give a nonprofit $10,000! Imagine the impact on our communities and the hope we are able to infuse into our females both young and old. Our evening ends with a celebration of the impact we have on each other and the organizations of those we support.
Is there a cost? Yes, all good things do have a price tag. The membership is $250 annually. This provides you with opportunities for giving, networking, and learning at one price. There are no additional tickets to purchase for the events. We will have opportunities from the national network of WOMEN UNITED for both social and political involvement.
Join by making your donation today and selecting to designate to WOMEN UNITED. Follow us on Facebook. More info? Please contact Brianna Dufour at (352) 787-7530.
To Inspire Change We Will…
- Operate as an independent affinity group of UWLS to support women and girls in our community.
- Accomplish our mission by identifying, celebrating and rewarding the successful organizations that align with our mission in Lake and Sumter County.
- Mentor each other and accept a leadership role in mentoring others in the community.
- Volunteer our time with organizations that align with our mission and value us as partners in leading change.
- Commit to give a minimum of $250 a year to advance our mission.
- Lead others in understanding the value of writing a check along with giving their time and talent.
Women Goes to Tallahassee!
The 2020 Women United State Summit and Florida United Ways Capitol Days two-day event on November 12 & 13 was a huge success! Our record attendance of 70+ participants represented 17 local United Ways and 41 counties in Florida! It was engaging, relevant and inspiring for those who were able to attend. We were able to spend a day networking with other Women United groups and hearing what they are doing in the community. We had a surprise visit from Senator Stargill to share how she had become involved in politics and the challenges she faced as being a female in the political arena.
Day 2 was filled with tours of the capital, meetings with our representatives, an Special group meetings. We had the opportunity to visit with Senator Dennis Baxley and Representative Brett Hage, and they both took an interest in our issues of early childhood education, affordable housing, assistance with tax preparation for lower income individuals, assistance for veterans, and health care. We also visited with an aide to Senator Kelli Stargel. It was informative trip that each year I learn a little more about the political arena and how we can have a voice.
It was interesting to hear their lobbyists from RSA Consulting discuss their observations on the up
coming session. Legislators have met several weeks in committees in advance of the session, however many committee meetings had been canceled and not many bills have been filed. Some of their key observations and predictions are as follows:
- The leaders of both chambers have the power to set the agenda. If a leader doesn’t prioritize a bill it’s not likely to see the light of day. Over 3,000 bills were filed in 2019, but only 197 were passed.
- The trend to merge individual bills into “train” bills is likely to continue even though this forces legislators to vote on things they don’t support in order to get other key pieces of the train bill passed.
- The need for additional revenue is likely to prompt some type of expansion of gambling through an agreement with the Seminole tribe.
- There may be movement in the areas of criminal justice reform.
Women United Success Stories
Women United gathered for their first giving event. What amazing information was shared that night! American Association of University Women presented on giving 7th grade girls the opportunity for STEM camps. Beautiful Girls shared how they are supporting girls & women in the community by providing feminine hygiene supplies. The League of Women Voters shared their vision of celebrating 100 years of women being able to vote. The winner is….
Beautiful Girls won through the votes and will be receiving $5,000 towards their cause. The true inspiration of HOPE was that all the projects are going to be funded through the generosity of one of our Women United members.
I think everyone walked away with new information and ways we can create change in our community. Thank you to all our members for supporting our goal of empowering future and current female leaders by sharing our successes, stories, and resources.