United Way® of Lake and Sumter Counties
United We Grow™ Manley Scholarship Application 2022-2023
United Way of Lake and Sumter Counties, Inc. has set aside an initial $10,000.00 in funding in honor of Dr. Adrian Manley, a beloved Board Member who passed from COVID in 2021. Dr. Manley is survived by three young boys who are the first recipients of this scholarship award and will continue his legacy in their education, just as Dr. Manley would wish for you to continue your education and the legacy it leaves for the young ones you may love and influence. As a result of the influence of his teachings on our organization, the United We Grow Manley Scholarship Fun provides financial resources able to be awarded to qualified recipients for the purpose of completing or obtaining a GED or high school or equivalent or attending or returning to higher education in pursuit of an Associates, Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctorate degree. The value of each scholarship will vary according to the returns on the invested funds and the number of qualified applicants.
The United We Grow Manley Scholarship is designed to recognize women who have demonstrated a commitment to improving the income, education, and health status of themselves or their family and would not, in most cases, be able to achieve the goal of this type of education, without financial assistance. Those eligible include women and their children.
Qualifying Educational Facilities
This scholarship award is available for all accredited post-secondary, GED, or certificate programs offered in Lake or Sumter Counties.
Recipients of the United We Grow™ Manley Scholarship fund must be a current resident and have been a resident of Lake and Sumter Counties for a minimum of the prior twelve months.
Documentation Needed for Submission
Please submit the following in order to be considered eligible and for your application to be considered complete. Incomplete applications are not shared with the Scholarship Committee.
- Completed application
- Copy of Photo ID
- One paragraph profile/bio
- One headshot picture
- Most recent grades/transcript from any completed education
- A written success story (500 words or less) including a plan of what you intend to achieve or accomplish as a result of your educational endeavor
- Proof of income, indicating a member of the ALICE population
- Letters of acceptance or admission from qualifying educational institutions
- One paragraph on your motivation to return to school and apply for this scholarship
- Applications are readily available throughout the year for download and submission from our website at uwls.org.
- Completed applications, current school transcript(s), a letter of recommendation and a photo must be returned to the Scholarship Committee at the United Way of Lake and Sumter office by the first of the month of each quarter, as the Committee meets quarterly. Confirmation of submission of your application will be received after upload to our website. If uploading a completed application and documents is not an option, a completed paper copy of all documents and the application may be dropped off at our office. It’s most important that your responses are detailed and complete to help the Scholarship Committee better know you and your needs. Any questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Scholarship Committee includes all Women United members and meets the first month of each quarter. Applications are to be submitted by the end of the 3rd month (i.e. March, June, Sept, Dec.) of the prior quarter, in order to be immediately considered. For example, Sept. submissions will be reviewed in Oct. with notifications sent by end of Oct
- After reviewing all applications, the Scholarship Committee will contact all applicants by mail. The scholarship recipients will be invited to a presentation of award at the next United Way Board meeting, held quarterly. Recipients are expected to attend this If unable to attend, the student must contact the chairperson of the Scholarship Committee prior to the awards service or distribution. Awards may be distributed prior to the award presentation, on a case-by-case basis.
- This application is for one academic school year, however a student may reapply in following years if qualifications are met. Applicants may only receive a total of four scholarships.