Make a difference. Be of influence. Be Generous.
Tocqueville members are a generous group of philanthropic leaders who support United Way and our community at a higher level. Tocqueville givers are often some of our region’s most influential business and civic leaders making difference in the lives of people who need it most. Tocqueville members may also be simply generous and wanting to impact our programs.
Inspired by Alexis de Tocqueville, a French political philosopher who famously admired American philanthropy, United Way’s Tocqueville Program provides its members with a way to embody that same generous American spirit of our forefathers that Tocqueville complimented nearly 200 years ago.
- Tocqueville members may be nominated to receive the Unite Worldwide Award
- Tocqueville members receive exclusive invitations to private donor events, connecting you with the leading influencers in our community.
- Tocqueville members receive the benefits of the potential tax impact for generous giving
- Advance and special invitations to participate in or lead roundtables or committees influencing major decisions relating to the community
The United Way of Lake and Sumter Counties invites you to become a member of this elite group of generous givers. Make a difference. Be of influence. Be generous.
UWLS Tocqueville Society Members (from right) Ken Gates and Curtis Wynn, along with CEO Jessica Davis and Resource Development Director Brandon Pitts.
How Do I Become a Member Now?
With a donation or designation of $10,000 or greater, you are a Tocqueville Member for the year in which you have given so generously.
- Stock may be used as a portion or total investment donation
- Incremental donations over a period of years qualify for the Step into Tocqueville Program
- Contributions may vary by year
- Monthly or quarterly recurring donation options are available
Could I gradually grow into the Tocqueville membership level?
Yes, of course, here is how it works:
United Way of Lake and Sumter Counties offer a giving option that allows community leaders to step up to the $10,000 annual giving level by gradually moving up to such level over three years while being recognized as members of the Tocqueville Society from the very first year. Step-Up to Tocqueville members make a commitment now for their United Way giving over a period of three years, with minimum contributions outlined below.
- Year One: $5,000 from the Step-Up to Tocqueville donor in the first year.
- Year Two: $7,500 from the Step-Up to Tocqueville donor in the second year.
- Year Three: $10,000 for the Step-Up to Tocqueville donor in the third year and beyond covers the full cost of their membership in the Tocqueville Society.
United Way Worldwide National Tocqueville Society recognizes all individual/couples who make Tocqueville donations, regardless of where the funds may be directed. However, United Way of Lake and Sumter Counties determine levels/percentages of annual support required to sources under management for inclusion in its local United Way Tocqueville Society.
Please contact Resource Development Director Brandon Pitts at 352-801-8655 or firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions and creative donation ideas.