Are you a Veteran, Active Duty Service Member or Military Family?
This is where you get the support you’ve earned.
Mission United is a United Way program of United Way of Lake and Sumter Counties and while Mission United is dedicated to serves those who have served, it also provides a personal touch that many of the Veterans Affairs options are simply unable to accommodate, often due to capacity.
Our Mission United team’s primary role is to help Veterans navigate the system of benefits available, whether by providing those options directly or connecting our Veterans to a resource for any of the following services:
- Medical Transportation Services
- Employment Services
- Legal Assistance
- Financial Stability
- Health Care
- Stability Housing
More than 34,000 Veterans call Lake or Sumter County home. Whether they left the services years ago or are currently transitioning to civilian life, many struggle with the challenges of navigating a complex system of services and finding their place in the community. Our Mission United program is a collective effort that identifies gaps and creates systemic change in the area of health care access, education, and stability assistance.
For immediate and confidential assistance, call 2-1-1
For individual assistance and case management, contact our Mission United Coordinator, Mr. Tracey Schoonmaker at 352-787-7530 ext 242 or via EMAIL.
Want a Ride on that bus?
United Way of Lake and Sumter Counties is pleased to announce the launch of our Mission United Transportation Program, from the Clermont VA Clinic to the Lake Nona VA Center.
For more infromation, call 352-787-8788
To make a donation in support of Veterans or designated to the Mission United program, visit our DONATE selections.
COVID-19 Pfizer-BioNTech Booster Clinic Locations
Malcom Randall VAMC* 1601 SW Archer Road Gainesville, FL 32608
No Appointment Needed 1. Primary Care Waiting Room (located on the first floor near Valet Parking) Monday- Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
2. Independence Parking Garage Monday- Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
3. Gainesville Auditorium (Near Canteen) Monday- Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
American Legion Post #57* (Lake City) 2602 SW Main Blvd. Lake City
No Appointment Needed Monday- Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
The Villages Outpatient Clinic* 8900 Southeast 165th Mulberry Lane The Villages, FL 32162-5884
Appointment Preferred but not required (Near the Clinical Access Unit (CAU) Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Timuquana Market Place* 5150 Timuquana Road Suite 6, Jacksonville, FL 32210
No Appointment Needed Monday- Friday 8:00 a.m.- 2:00 p.m.
Appointments: 352-548-6000 ext. 103755
Starting Wednesday September 29,2021,
VA will offer Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine boosters under Emergency Use Authorization.
- Individuals who should get a Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 booster dose:
- People 65 years and older and residents in long-term care settings who received a Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 primary vaccine series at least six months ago
- People 50 to 64 years old with underlying medical conditions who received a Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 primary vaccine series at least six months ago
- Individuals who may opt to get a Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 booster dose, based on their individual benefits and risks, including:
- People 18 to 49 years old with underlying medical conditions who received a Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 primary vaccine series at least six months ago
- People 18 to 64 years old who are at increased risk for COVID-19 exposure and transmission because of their occupational or institutional setting who received a Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 primary vaccine series at least six months ago
Coming in HOT!!!
Great News for Florida Veterans, their spouses and caregivers!
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs medical facilities can now provide COVID-19 vaccines to all Veterans, regardless of character of discharge, their spouses and adult caregivers at no cost!
Sign up here: https://www.va.gov/health-care/covid-19-vaccine/sign-up/introduction, check out their websites or give them a call to learn how you can get the COVID-19 vaccine.
Bay Pines VA Healthcare System (web site) or call 888-820-0230
James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital – Tampa (web site) or call 888-716-7787
Miami VA Healthcare System (web site) or call 305-575-7000
North Florida/South Georgia Veterans Health System (web site) or call 352-548-6000 ext. 103755
Orlando VA Healthcare System (web site) or call 407-631-0499
West Palm Beach VA Medical Center (web site) or call 800-972-8262 ext. 5220
President Joe Biden recently signed the SAVE LIVES Act into law, expanding VA’s legal authority to provide COVID-19 vaccines to all Veterans, regardless of their VA health care enrollment status, as well as Veteran spouses, caregivers and some beneficiaries.
Veteran Information Briefing
Coursera for the Military Family Community
Through partnerships with select nonprofit organizations (including our local partners Allegiant Giving and The Warrior Alliance), Coursera brings more than 4,000 training and skills development courses to transitioning service members, veterans, and military spouses—for free! Visit their recently-launched community group Coursera for the Military Family Community to learn more about how vets and military spouses can access no-cost learning opportunities.
Warrior-Scholar Project academic boot camps
The Warrior-Scholar Project is accepting applications for their college preparatory academic boot camps this summer! Options include Humanities, STEM, and Business & Entrepreneurship. The programs are open to enlisted veterans and transitioning service members. Veterans can find all the details and submit an application right here.
COVID-19 Vaccines at the VA Updates:
- Vaccines available by appointment at the Orlando VA locations 407-631-0499 or Click Here for more detailed information and eligibility.
- Vaccines available by appointment only at the North Florida South Georgia VA System. Call 800-324-8387 or Click Here for more detailed information and eligibility.