Our 6-Step Grant Process
Step 1 – Annual Partners Meeting
The 2018 Annual Partners’ Meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, July 25, 2018. The meeting place is TBA. This meeting is mandatory for non-profit organizations wishing to apply for program funding.
Step 2 – Letter of Intent
Non-profit organizations applying for program funding must submit a Letter of Intent. The letter must identify the name of the program, the amount of money requested, and a brief description of the program. Finally, the letter must explain how the program complies with the UWLS Strategic Funding Priorities. The deadline for Letter of Intent submission is August 31.
Step 3 – Invitation to Submit an Application
Once the staff of UWLS has determined that an organization’s program fits our Strategic Funding Priorities, the organization will receive an invitation to submit a grant application online. Grant applications are by invitation only.
United Way of Lake and Sumter Counties’ grants range between $10,000 to as high as $50,000. The average funded program is between $10,000 to $25,000.
Also, UWLS grants will only fund a program up to 75% of the total cost of the program. The grant may fund direct program salaries up to 50%; however, UWLS will not fund benefits, taxes, overhead, or building expenses.
The deadline to submit grant applications online is September 30.
Step 4 – Committee Review
- Does the program fit one of United Way’s pillars–Education, Health, or Financial Stability?
- Does the program help accomplish United Way’s strategic goals?
- Does the budget of the program make sense, or is the cost-per-person ratio too high?
- Did the organization contribute to United Way’s campaign last year, and is their goal this year appropriate?
- Does the organization have the capacity to deliver the outcomes of their program?